Sunday, May 6, 2018

Training Children

“Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)

In my possession I have a beautiful walking stick given me by a friend. It is sassafras wrapped around by a vine when it was in the wild. As my friend was making it he removed all the bark and vines and varnished it. The stick was trained by the vine around it as it grew. I have seen tall trees growing with a severe crook close to its base training it to grow with that obvious crook.

Dogs may be trained by their masters to do all sorts of tricks. Horses are trained to jump over barriers. Many animals and plants are trained. Without the training there would be no skills.

We are to train up our children in the way they should go. Without Godly training from their parents children will grow up like wild animals. Someone said of my children long ago, “They are growing like weeds,” meaning it as a complement. I thought to my self, “I hope they are not growing as weeds. It takes no skill, patience or knowledge to grow weeds. Weeds need no training.” There is too much Godless training which answers the question of what has happened to our society. Parents, take charge. Perhaps someone should train the parents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment