Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Not the Messenger but the Message

“And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.” ( I Corinthians 2:1-2)

The story goes of a preacher who could bring tears to his congregation by simply saying the word, “Mesopotamia.” He was an orator and master of the skills of public speaking. Not so with the apostle Paul. They said of him that his speech was contemptible.  (II Corinthians 10:10)

The message which Paul was delivering must be preached and taught with simple clarity. I have three  granddaughters. One is nine, another is three and the last is one. I want them to hear the gospel message with understanding. Paul’s message was the simple message of the Cross of Christ, His death and the price which was necessary to pay our sin debt.

When I preach I want the hearers to leave, not saying, “What a wonderful public speaker we heard today,” but, “What a wonderful Savior God in His love has given us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment