Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Hide God’s Word in Your Heart

“Thy word have I hid in my heart, that I may not sin against thee.” (Psalm 119:11)

 When I was a sixteen year old applying for my first driver’s license, the clerk gave me a booklet and said, “Study this and be able to answer questions from it.” If I got on the road and committed some infraction of the laws of the road I could not plead ignorance.

There are two chapters in the book of Leviticus that address the subject of the sins that are committed through ignorance. In these two chapters innocent animals had to be killed as a sacrifice to pay for a person’s sin he committed through ignorance. Everyone was responsible for his sins, even if he did not know he was sinning. (Read Leviticus 4 and 5)

The psalmist set the standard to avoid sinning through ignorance. He would hide God’s Word in his heart and be informed of what God expected and act accordingly.

Hiding God’s word in one’s heart requires time, study, memorization and meditation. We do, however, commit sins, whether through ignorance or with full knowledge. Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is the innocent Lamb of God to take away the sins of the world. He died on the cross, the Just for the unjust and paid for all our sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment