Friday, January 19, 2018

Good from Afflictions

“It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.”  
(Psalm 119:71)

I have heard it said, “When I was hospitalized and flat of my back I learned how to pray.” The Apostle Paul was given a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet him. He asked God three times for the affliction to be taken away. God responded by saying, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” Paul concluded by saying, “Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.” (II Corinthians 12:9-10)

Someone picked up a garden hoe for chopping weeds. The cutting edge was rusty and pitted. He had to take it to the emery wheel and polish off the rust and make it shine and sharpen it so he could use it. Afflictions can be seen as an emery wheel in the hands of God as He grinds off the useless junk making us useful servants in His skillful hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment