Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Enemies of Old Age

“Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth. For mine enemies speak against me; and they that lay wait for my soul take counsel together, Saying, God hath forsaken him: persecute and take him; for there is none to deliver him.” (Psalm 71:9-11)

Caleb, companion and fellow warrior with Joshua, was now eighty-five years old and declared that his strength to serve God was as it was when he and Joshua and 10 other men went in to spy out the land of Canaan.  Like Caleb, the psalmist appealed to God that he not become cast off as useless in old age. 

There are enemies of old age.  Failing health, falling, fear of heights, lack of muscle tone, poor eyesight, dullness of hearing, disease and even death are just some of the enemies of old age.  The Bible says, “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.” (1 Corinthians 15:26)  One of our enemies is in our mind when we tell ourselves, “I’m too old. God can’t use me. Let the young folks serve the Lord. I’m just too old.”

When we are one of His, He will not forsake us when we are young nor will He forsake us when we are old.  It is not a sin to be old.  The sin is in saying that God cannot use you just because you have gotten old.  Make yourself available to God and see where He can use you.

No comments:

Post a Comment