Sunday, January 29, 2017

God’s Chastisement Indicates His Love for Us

“The LORD hath chastened me sore: but He hath not given me over unto death.”
(Psalm 118:18)

Praise God for His chastening hand. I know that He desires the very best from me and if I am acting like a misbehaving child He corrects me.

Only those who are His and are objects of His love receive chastisement from Him. Chastisement for a child of God is very similar to chastisement for a child of earthly parents. I have never chastened or spanked another parent’s child, but I have corrected and sometimes punished my children. God doesn’t chasten the devil’s children.

The psalmist acknowledged that he had been severely chastened. But the chastisement did not kill him and ignoring bad behavior could have been the same as giving him over to death. The Bible says, “Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.” (Proverbs 19:18)

Thank you, God, for loving me enough to chasten and correct me even when it hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment