Saturday, March 11, 2017

Don’t Let the Stones do Your Rejoicing

“And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto Him (Jesus), Master, rebuke thy disciples. And He answered and said unto them, ‘I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.’” (Luke 19:39-40)

It was just a few days until Calvary. Jesus had just ridden a donkey into Jerusalem for what we call His “Triumphal Entry.” People were understandably moved to shouts of praise and rejoicing. They had witnessed His miracles of healing, the miraculous feeding of the multitudes and the restoring of life to the deceased. Yes, those along the way rejoiced.

However, the religious, self righteous Pharisees were not rejoicing. When they asked Jesus to rebuke the disciples Jesus said that if these held their peace the stones would immediately cry out.

I heard of an old farmer who occasionally praised the Lord at church, upsetting some of the folks. When a delegation was sent to his farm to ask him to stop praising the Lord aloud, they found him in a field plowing corn with a mule. As they talked the old man said, “I’m very sorry I’ve upset some folks. But, when I get to thinking about my sins being washed away in the blood of Jesus when He died on the cross and then how my Savior was raised from the dead…well then the preacher said something about Jesus coming back… and then he told about heaven and that I’ll get to see Jesus…Here, hold this old mule so he won’t run away. I feel like I’m going to shout right now!”

If Jesus has saved you from sin you have a multitude of reasons to rejoice and no one has a legitimate reason to stop you.

No comments:

Post a Comment