Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Does Your Preacher Have Fire in His Bones

“Then I said, ‘I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name.’ But His word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay,” (Jeremiah 20:9)

Jeremiah had been smitten and then put in stocks for his proclamation of the word of God. Following his release he declared our text. Many a discouraged and heart broken preacher has gone home from church on a Sunday night with Jeremiah’s words on his lips only to have a repentant heart before morning.

The ordaining council asked a young preacher, “If we do not lay hands on you in ordination what will you do?” His response was, “God called me to preach. I will be preaching God’s word somewhere.”

I heard this advice at an ordination, “Young man, if you can do anything else besides preach, do not preach. But, if His word is like a burning fire shut up in your bones then preach His Word.”

If your pastor’s fire is burning low pray for him and quit insisting that he attend every meeting of the “Ladies Pink Lemonade Society,” and other such meetings. Give him time to study and spend time with the Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment