Friday, April 6, 2018

What is Your Thorn in the Flesh?

“...there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord three times, that it might depart from me.” (II Corinthians 12: 7-8)

We are usually quick to tell people about our ailments, our visits to the doctor and the kinds of medicines we are taking. But Paul never told us what his ailment, his thorn in the flesh, was. He called it “this thing.” Some have speculated that it was his eyesight or malaria or some kind of lung problem. Since we do not know what it was we can all identify with it.

Notice that his thorn in the flesh was “the messenger of Satan.” It was not sent by the hand of God, although God did permit it. Notice also God’s answer to Paul’s prayer concerning this thorn: “My grace is sufficient for you; for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” (II Corinthians 12:9) Paul’s response to God’s answer was what ours should be. “Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (II Corinthians 12:9) Finally notice in verse 10 Paul says, “...for when I am weak, then am I strong.” 

I have heard people say, “I did not know how to pray until God allowed me to be flat of my back in a hospital bed. The only way I could look was up. My weakest time was my strongest time.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment