Sunday, April 22, 2018

Safe

“My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand. I and my Father are one.”(John 10:27-30)

If I could use just one word as a commentary on these verses it would be the word, “Safe.” Pride tells someone that he is not bad enough to need a Savior. But just in case he needs to be saved, he can do enough good deeds and good works to earn his way into heaven. And, should he be convinced that only Jesus can save, he is plenty capable of maintaining his own salvation. Pride keeps people away from the Savior.

The Good Shepherd’s sheep follow Him and He knows them. Eternal life is a gift, not something one earns. It is eternal. If one could have it today and lose it tomorrow, have it again the next day and lose it the day following, it would not be “eternal.” It would be spasmodic.

“Never perish” means just what it says. We are held in the merciful hand of Jesus. The Father holds us in His hand and no one is able to pluck us out of the Father’s hand.

It is not a matter of trying harder. It is all by His marvelous grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment