Friday, January 30, 2015

Someone to Care

“I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul.” (Psalm 142:4)

David had been a faithful shepherd. He had killed the giant, Goliath, and the people had applauded him.  He had settled King Saul with his music.  The king’s son, Jonathan, had been his best friend.  He was married to the king’s daughter.  Now, he is hiding from King Saul in a cave, because the king in his jealousy was pursuing David to kill him.  He looked around, but no one was there to defend him, console him or pray for him.  

Perhaps you have been there.  You have struggled with your troubles and trials but no one is there to care.   

The next verse says, “I cried unto thee, Oh LORD: I said, ‘thou are my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.’” (Psalm 142:5)  That is the answer to your struggles when there is no one to help you, when everyone has forsaken you.  God has promised, “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.” (Heb. 13:5)  

Would you be a friend to the “Davids” who find themselves without a friend to care? It doesn’t take a seminary degree to help someone. Neither does one have to be ordained to lend a hand. I had an uncle who said, “When you are a long way from home and you are homesick, even an old dog from back home looks good to you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment