Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Cup Runneth Over

“Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.” (Psalm 23:5)

Have you noticed how the sheep are dependent on the shepherd and how He cares for them? In the hundredth psalm we are told “we are the sheep of his pasture.”

There is a table prepared by the shepherd.  It is probably a mesa, a low mountain or hill with a flat top, like a table.  It has a good view of the surrounding country side and is a relatively safe place for the shepherd to keep his sheep. The shepherd has provided everything the sheep need for staying on the table for a while. The old song says, “Lord, lift me up and let me stand, by faith on heaven’s tableland. A higher plane than I have found, Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”

Fleas, flies and other parasites get in the eyes, ears and nose of the sheep and can sometimes be so irritating that the sheep self destruct from running aimlessly to get away.  Therefore, the shepherd must anoint the sheep with oil to keep the parasites away. The shepherd must lovingly, patiently and individually anoint each sheep. The oil here is a picture of the Holy Spirit. The Good Shepherd ministers the “oil” of the Holy Spirit to each of His sheep individually. The Holy Spirit comes in and takes up permanent residence when we receive Christ as our Savior.

The “cup” is a hollowed out place in solid rock prepared by the shepherd. It is running over with the shepherd’s provision.  As the song says, “No one ever cared for me like Jesus.”  This entire verse is talking about the abundant provision of the Good Shepherd for the sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment