Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Others


“Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.” (Philippians 2:4)

One Scripture version  has translated the word “things” as “interests.”  Either way, we are to help others. It is in the next verse that we are told to, “Let this mind be in you which was in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 2:5) When we are Christ-like in our thinking, we will be Christ-like in our actions in regard to the interests of others.

The old hymn, “Others” says,
     Lord, help me live from day to day, in such a self forgetful way, 
          That even when I kneel to pray, my prayer shall be for others.
     Help me in all the work I do, to ever be sincere and true 
          And know that all I’d do for you, Must needs be done for others.
     And when my work on earth is done, And my new work is heaven’s begun, 
          May I forget the crown I've won, While thinking still of others.
     Chorus:
     Others, Lord, yes, others, Let this my motto be.  
          Help me to live for others, That I may live like Thee.

A selfish Christian is a contradiction in terms. Let us be about looking after the good of others.

Others words by Charles Meigs.


No comments:

Post a Comment