Monday, January 26, 2015

Rest

“Be still and know that I am God…” (Psalm 46:10)

I don’t know about you, but I enjoy singing out of the hymnal.  Straight lines of words on a screen give little or no direction.  I like to see the notes on the staff lines so I can determine ahead of time if we’re going up or down, if we are holding a note and so on.  There is one little signature on the staff lines that has no music in it.  It’s called a “rest.”  Although it has no music, the rest of the song sounds better if that “rest” is observed.

As I think about this I realize that there are times when we Christians need to just rest in Jesus. We do not have to be like “Jell-o,” always active. We exercise restlessness, thinking that activity is to be equated with Godliness.  Years ago I heard a preacher say there were not enough days in the calendar for him and his church to do all the things the denomination and the association and his church called on them to do.

Unfortunately, many homes are ripped apart by this constant activity, with no time to just enjoy one another and for children and parents to have fun at home together. Rest in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment