Tuesday, January 6, 2015

LORD, Have Mercy

“Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness’ sake, Oh LORD.” (Psalm 25:7)

The strength of youth is a double-edged sword.  First, there is the strength to run and play.  There is the strength to work night and day.  As Dad Speer of the Speer family often sang, “I could climb the hills all day long. Things are not the same as they used to be: time has made a change in me.”

But, in youth there is strength to commit some terrible sins.  David, in his wisdom, prays for God not to remember the sins of his youthful days. Most of us would not want our lives flashed on a screen showing the sins of our youth along with the good things we may have done since then.

After asking God to not remember the sins of his youth, he then asks God to remember him according to God’s mercy and goodness. David is saying, “Don’t give me justice: give me mercy.” Under the New Covenant ratified by the precious blood of Jesus, the Bible says, “For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.” (Hebrews 8:12)

You can trust Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment