Saturday, January 17, 2015

I’ve Been Young, Now Am Old

“Cast me not off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength faileth.” (Psalm 71:9)

 

The late comedian, George Burns, sang a little song when he was in his nineties, in which he said, “I wish I was eighteen again.”  Everyone knows that will not happen. I overheard this; “Backward, Oh backward, Oh, time in your flight. Make me a kid again, if just for tonight.” Neither will that happen.

 

All one has to do to get old is just hang around a while.  Every old person can say with the psalmist, “I have been young, and now am old…” (Psalm 37:25) 

 

If you are concerned with old age coming on, an aged Christian can pray this prayer with utmost confidence, “Now also when I am old and grey headed, O God, forsake me not; until I have showed thy strength unto this generation and thy power to every one that is to come.”  (Psalm 71:18)  The old hymn, “Stand by Me,” says, “When I’m growing old and feeble, stand by me…When my life becomes a burden, and I’m nearing chilly Jordan, Oh thou Lily of the Valley, stand by me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment