Thursday, February 23, 2017

The Good Influence of Godly Parents on their Children

“For thou art my hope, Oh Lord God: thou art my trust from my youth. By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art He that took me out of my mother’s womb: my praise shall be continually of thee.” (Psalm 71:5-6)

This aged psalmist is a living testimony to the benefits of teaching children the things of God. Apparently his parents had followed the command of Moses to teach the word of the Lord to the children, to post the word in prominent places so it could be seen by everyone in the house, especially the children. He had been taught from childhood.

Paul was commending his young Christian friend, Timothy, for his faith and then called to remembrance the “…unfeigned faith that dwelt first in Timothy’s grandmother, Lois, and in his mother, Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.” (II Timothy 1:5) The Bible says, “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)

The greatest neglect in our nation today, as in the rest of the world, is the neglect of Biblical, spiritual teaching and training of the children and young people by their parents. Who the president is for any four year period is of little consequence compared to Godly, Biblical training, or the lack of it, in the homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment