Thursday, September 4, 2014

The "old" "new" commandment

John the beloved disciple wrote, “Brothers, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which you had from the beginning.  The old commandment is the word which you have heard from the beginning.  Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in Him and in you…” (I John 2:7-8)  Jesus said, “A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another; as I have loved you…” (John 13:34)

John spoke about an old commandment and Jesus spoke about a new commandment.  How could the command to love be both old and new?

I was told that fairly recently someone saw a 1930 Model “A” Ford setting on blocks in a barn.  It was an old car, but it had only about 1,500 miles on it, so it was a new car too, because it was not worn out with usage. 

The “old” “new” commandment has been around a long time but it is not hurt with usage. 

The Bible commands us, “See that you love one another with a pure heart fervently.”  Jesus put it like this, “Love one another as I have loved you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment