Friday, September 5, 2014

Feeding on God's Word

We must have food to live.  But, as you know, Jesus told the devil, “man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.” (Matt. 4:4)

Unfortunately, many people are gluttonous for the food we get from the grocery store, the kitchen, and dining room table.  Some have said we have an overweight epidemic in our country.  But, we are starving ourselves from the lack of the word of God.

I watched a newborn baby as she was taking some of her very first milk.  It was almost like she was saying, “Move over folks. Let me have that milk and I mean right now.” We are instructed in the Bible to be “as newborn babies, desiring the sincere milk of the Word that we may grow thereby.” (I Peter 2:2)  The strongest Christian is the one with a ferocious appetite for God’s word.

May we be as the patriarch Job who said, “I have esteemed the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.” (Job 23:12)

Feeding on God’s Word will keep us from being anemic in the things of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment