Friday, November 18, 2016

An Obscure Prayer by an Obscure Man

“And Jabez was more honorable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, ‘Because I bare him with sorrow.’ And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, ‘Oh that thou wouldest bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldest keep me from evil, that it might not grieve me!’ And God granted him that which he requested.” (I Chronicles 4:9-10)

I have not read the little book, “The Prayer of Jabez,” so if I say something here that the author said in the book, I apologize. Here are just a few short points about prayer gleaned from these two verses from God’s Word.

  • The prayer of Jabez is short, just thirty-three words in length. Prayer does not have to be long.
  • The prayer of Jabez is specific, with five requests. We need to be specific when we pray.
  • Jabez took time to pray.
  • Jabez came boldly to God. The Bible says, “Let us come boldly to the throne of grace.” (Hebrews 4:16) Boldly does not mean arrogantly.
  • His prayer reminds us that even “nobodies” can pray. He is not mentioned anywhere else in the Bible. Are you a “Nobody” in the eyes of others? You can pray.
  • His prayer was answered.  “And God granted him that which he requested.”

For Jabez to pray as he did and his prayer to be answered indicates that he had faith in God. The Bible says, “But without faith it is impossible to please God; for he that cometh to Him must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.” (Hebrews 11:6) We must have faith when we pray. An old quartet song says, “prayer without faith is like a boat without an oar”

No comments:

Post a Comment