Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Words of My Mouth

“Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear berries? Either a vine figs? So can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.” (James 3:11-12))

My wife and I have three grape vines on the same arbor. We have never grown apples or bananas on our grape vines. We have two small pear trees that yield enough fruit for her to make pear preserves. She has never made grape jelly from those pear trees nor have we found strawberries growing on the pear trees.

James uses the same kind of simple logic to show how we are to speak. Out of the mouth of a Christian should come the language of a Christian. The Psalmist said, “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, Oh LORD, my strength and my redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14) We should speak as though Jesus were listening to our every word.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment