Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Preaching of the Cross

“For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.” (I Corinthians 1:18)

A preacher arrived at his assignment and was told, “Preacher, it’s alright to say that Jesus died, but just don’t mention the cross, the blood or any of that. You can say that Jesus died for us, but that’s enough.”

The preacher responded, “But just saying He died could mean He died of a heart attack, pneumonia, cancer, stroke or some rare disease. No, I’ll preach the cross and I will be sure to tell the folks that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.” (Hebrews 9:22) Then he said, “The marks of the nails through Jesus’ hands and feet and into the cross helped Thomas recognize the Savior after the resurrection.” An old song says, “I shall know Him by the print of the nails in His hands.”

Charles Hadden Spurgeon said, “When I stand behind the sacred desk to preach, as soon as I read my text I make a bee line for the cross.”

No comments:

Post a Comment