Monday, November 17, 2014

The Dash on the Tombstone

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day:  and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing." (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

Someone said after passing through a cemetery that he observed a tombstone that gave the name of the deceased on one line and on the second line it gave the date of his birth followed by a dash and then the date of his death. The conclusion of his observation was that the man's entire life was summed up in a dash. 

Paul the apostle would certainly have more than a dash on his tombstone. He sums up his own life by telling us he fought a good fight. We too, have a fight to fight. How are you and I doing in the fight for the things of God? He tells us he has finished his course.  One of the problems many of us have is not finishing our course.  We give up before the race is over.  He tells us he has kept the faith. Are you keeping the faith, as Jude calls it, "Faith which was once delivered to the saints."  (Jude1:3)

The death date on our tombstones is not the last occurrence of our being. Beyond the grave is the Judgment Seat of Christ where the child of God receives his rewards, followed by heaven. The saddest reality of all beyond the death date is the prospect of eternal hell for the non-believer. While you are between the two dates on your tombstone give your heart and life to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment