Thursday, October 6, 2016

The Sin of Small Expectation

“He (Jesus) said unto Simon, ‘Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.’ And Simon answering said unto Him, ‘Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.’”(Luke 5:4-5)

I call this, “the sin of small expectation.” At first glance we might think that Simon was being obedient when he said to Jesus, “at thy word I will let down the net.” But, Jesus did not say, “Let down the net” (singular). He said, “Let down your nets” (plural).

Simon was disobedient because he did not expect anything to happen. “After all,” Simon may have reasoned, “I have devoted my life to fishing. I know this lake, I know these fish, I know about nets and how to cast them out. I’ll stick to fishing. Jesus should stick to preaching and teaching.”

He did not expect to catch any fish after a night of no success. It is a common sin to have small expectations in the Lord’s work. Many people have small expectations when they attend church. It has been said that if you go to church expecting nothing to happen you won’t be disappointed when nothing happens. The same is true when praying. If we pray without faith, expecting nothing to happen, don’t be disappointed when nothing happens.

If the Lord tells you to cast out your nets don’t be satisfied just casting out one net. Cast out every net you have and expect something great to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment