Saturday, March 28, 2015

The Answer to an Old Question

“If a man dies, shall he live again? (Job 14:14)

The question of what happens to a person after death is as old as death itself, when Cain killed his brother Abel. Job had seen a tree which had been cut down and through the scent of water it would sprout and grow again. Perhaps you have seen fence posts set in the ground and in spring start to sprout So, Job asked, “If a man die, shall he live again?”

Job answers his own question in the nineteenth chapter of the book named for him. He makes a strong statement of faith as though he is writing from Joseph’s tomb where Jesus was buried and then vacated in resurrection power. Job says, “For I know that my redeemer lives, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me.” (Job 19:25-27)

Even after these bodies have been in a state of decomposition, when Jesus returns the dead in Christ will be raised from their graves in the resurrection, receiving new bodies free from corruption or disease, “Christ the first fruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at His coming.” (I Corinthians 15:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment