Saturday, February 14, 2015

A True Confession

“…whom do men say that I the Son of man am” And they said, ‘Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elijah; and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.’ He saith unto them, ‘But whom say ye that I am?’ And Simon Peter answered and said, ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.’” (Matt. 16:13-16)

A parrot can be taught to talk, or at least say words.  My Dad took my brothers and me to visit a neighbor with a parrot.  The poor thing must have had lock-jaw. It embarrassed the bird’s keeper. As we were leaving the man kept saying to his parrot, “Tell ‘em ‘bye.  Tell ‘em bye.” Finally as we got in the car we heard the old parrot say, ‘Tell em bye. Tell em bye, saying exactly what his master had said.  The Christian confession is not “parrot talk.”  Jesus said, “But whom say ye that I am?”

While driving around one night looking at Christmas decorations my wife and I came up on one of the most decorated houses and yards we had ever seen. Lights were everywhere. Across the road from that house someone had one lighted sign in his yard. It had one word, “DITTO,” with an arrow pointing across the road toward the decorated house.

Jesus' response to Peter was, “Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood has not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.” Jesus indicated that Simon’s confession of the person of Jesus was real. It was his, given to him by the Father. Know Jesus. Spend time with Him. Read of Him in the Bible. Trust Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment