Saturday, August 8, 2015

Total Surrender

“And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, He said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, He gave up the ghost.” (Luke 23:46)

Do you remember the little bed-time prayer children have said through the years? It goes like this: “Now I lay me down to sleep; I pray thee, Lord, my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake; I pray thee, Lord, my soul to take.”

I have been told that the Jewish children had such a prayer. It is a quotation from the Bible. It says, “Into thine hands I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, Oh LORD God of truth.” (Psalm 31:5) This is what Jesus was quoting as His last saying from the cross. It was a prayer of committal, or resignation to the Father’s will. It was an expression of total trust in God the Father. He had prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane on the night before His crucifixion, “Father, if it be possible let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not my will, but as thou wilt.” (Matthew 26:39)

Jesus Christ the Son of God was totally yielded to God the Father. Let us take a lesson from this seventh and final saying from Christ Jesus when He was dying on the cross and be completely surrendered to His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment