Wednesday, August 12, 2015

God’s Sovereign Purposes

“When Jesus heard that, He said, ‘This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.’” (John 11:4)

It should come as no surprise to us that you and I have an appointment with death. I have heard people use the expression: “that was a close call. I thought it was all coming to an end. I thought I was a goner. But, here I am.” And then one day the end really did come.

Jesus told the messengers bearing the news of Lazarus’ sickness that the ultimate purpose of his sickness was not for the purpose of satisfying death, even though Lazarus died. This sickness was not in view of death. The purpose was for the glory of God, that Jesus would be glorified. Lazarus’ sickness had a similar purpose to the blindness of the young man that was born blind: “That the works of God should be manifest in him.” (John 9:3)

You and I do not know all the purposes of God in the circumstances of our lives, but we can, “know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)

No comments:

Post a Comment