Sunday, August 9, 2015

The Volunteer

“…I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.” (John 10: 17-18)

Jesus was not a helpless victim. He was a willing sacrifice. Just before His crucifixion and following His being scourged by the Romans, Pilate asked Jesus if He did not know that, “I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee? Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above…” (John 19:10-11)

No, Jesus was not a helpless victim in the hands of notoriously wicked men. He was voluntarily laying down His life in a substitutionary death, the just for the unjust. There is a song that says, “I should have been crucified; I should have suffered and died. I should have hung on the cross in disgrace, but Jesus, God’s Son took my place.”

No comments:

Post a Comment