Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Contentment

“Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.” (Philippians 4:11-12)

Experience is an excellent teacher. Paul had learned from experience, not a little study course, how to be content. We are told that “godliness with contentment is great gain,” and, “having food and clothing let us be content.” (I Timothy 6:6, 8) 

Paul’s words to the Philippians were not to be taken as a further appeal for help from them. Our deprivation in the lean times as well as our abundance in the good times can teach us how to be content with God’s provision, however large or small it may be.  The lesson is that we must learn to lean on Jesus in the best of times and the worst of times. “Give us this day our daily bread,” is a genuine prayer of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment