Friday, April 22, 2016

And He Was Clean

“Then went he down, and dipped himself seven times in Jordan, according to the saying of the man of God: and his flesh came again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was clean.”   (II Kings 5:14)

Dipping in the Jordan was not difficult. Humbling himself was the harder part. I wonder if he thought this is too simple, or too foolish, or it never has been done like this before. Did he examine himself after each dip to see if there had been any progress? The Bible doesn’t say. Was he about ready to give up after the fifth or sixth dip?  We don’t know. One thing we know, Naaman was cleansed of his leprosy.

The results were very similar to those of John Newton, an evil slave trader whose life the Lord changed, who in his song, “Amazing Grace,” wrote, “I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see.”

Many years ago I witnessed to a man who trusted Christ and was saved. He looked at me and said, “I don’t know why I waited so long to do this.” Why did Naaman not dip immediately in the Jordan? Why are you waiting?

No comments:

Post a Comment