Monday, March 5, 2018

Under His Wings

“Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea in the shadow of thy wings will make my refuge, until these calamities be over-past.” (Psalm 57:1)

I needed time alone with God. It was on Thursday following one of those infamous Baptist business meetings the night before. People left the business meeting with hard feelings toward each other. I hardly knew where to turn. I found a quiet place in the edge of our little woods and poured out my heart to the Lord. God seemed to turn the pages of my Bible to today’s text.

David was in a cave seeking shelter from King Saul when he penned this psalm. He was seeking God’s mercy and protection. He confessed his trust in God. How long would these calamities last? He did not know, but he would seek protection and shelter under God’s wings until the calamities were past. He was much like the baby chicks fleeing danger and looking for shelter under the mother hen’s wings.

Just as the baby chicks are vulnerable to danger away from the sheltering wings of the mother hen, so are we vulnerable to Satan’s attacks when we ignore God’s protection. Read the words of Jesus as He speaks to Jerusalem: “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.” (Matthew 23:37-38)

No comments:

Post a Comment