Wednesday, March 21, 2018

According to the Scriptures

“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures…” (I Corinthians 15:3-4)

Chiefest among the old Testament scriptures that tell of our Savior’s death by crucifixion is Isaiah, chapter 53. Very close to that reference is Psalm 22. Both of these passages seem to have been written in the shadow of the cross. His crucifixion was no after-thought in God’s plan. Christ died a horrible death to pay our sin debt.

To substantiate His resurrection it was necessary for there to be a burial. Jesus was buried in Joseph’s tomb awaiting His resurrection.

We sing joyfully, “Up from the grave He arose, with a mighty triumph over His foes…He arose, He arose, hallelujah Christ arose.” It was according to the scriptures, Jesus referring to Jonah being three days and nights in the belly of the whale and Job 19:25-27 the old patriarch cried out, “I know that my Redeemer liveth and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though by reins be consumed within me.” 

That is the gospel which Paul preached. It isn’t preaching without those three points.

No comments:

Post a Comment