Thursday, August 18, 2016

I Thank My God

“I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.” (Philippians 1:3)

This is the fourth and final devotion prefaced by these words, “I thank my God…” As near as I can discover there are only four places in the New Testament where these four words are placed together in this exact way: Romans 1:8; I Corinthians 1:4; Philemon 1:4 and here, in Philippians 1:3.

Paul could remember the Macedonian call to go to Philippi. He thanked God for that memory. He could remember Lydia, the lady merchant, the seller of purple and her household from Thyatira and their conversion and baptism. He remembered casting out the demon which inhabited the young girl. He remembered the conversion of the jailer and his household. He remembered and wrote about the monetary help the Philippians sacrificially gave for ministry.

It would be wonderful to live in such a way as to have folks thank God for everything they remembered about us. It would be equally wonderful to be able to thank God for every remembrance we have of previous churches with whom we have been associated.

No comments:

Post a Comment