Saturday, February 13, 2016

The Prayer of the Self Righteous Pharisee

“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. (Luke 18:11-12)

I think it was the late, Robert G. Lee who said that one Sunday after he preached he gave the invitation for anyone who would to come to the altar and confess their sins to God. A lady came forward, whispered in the pastor’s ear, and said, “I would confess my sins, but I can’t think of any.” He said, “Just guess at it.” He said that she guessed it right the first thing.

Look at the Pharisee’s prayer. There was no contrition, no confession, no expression of repentance and no praise toward God. The only words of thanksgiving were that he was thankful that he was not as other men, especially this despised publican. There was no plea of intercession for others. He could only brag about how good he was. No wonder Jesus said the Pharisee, “Prayed thus with himself.”

Join me as we look at the prayer of the publican tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment