Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Convicting Work of the Holy Spirit

“Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you. And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.” (John 16:7-8)

A preacher friend of mine was preaching one Sunday morning when one of the men of the church stood up, looked at the preacher for a moment, then stepped out into the aisle. He turned toward the door, took a couple of steps and stopped. He turned around toward the preacher, pointed his finger at him and said, “Why don’t you just call my name.” He turned toward the door and walked out. My preacher friend said he had no idea that there was a sin problem with that man.  But, the man knew and the Holy Spirit brought conviction that morning.

Jesus was teaching on the subject of the Holy Spirit, called the Comforter in John 14, 15 and 16. In our text Jesus told us the Comforter, the Holy Spirit would bring conviction for our sins. That’s what happened that Sunday morning in the middle of my friend’s sermon.  Hopefully, the man found a private place, got on his knees before the Lord and confessed his sin and repented.

When the Holy Spirit troubles us over some sin He is taking us in the direction of Jesus Christ where we can confess, repent, receive forgiveness and have peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment