Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Speaking With a Forked Tongue

“If a man says, ‘I love God,’ and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? And this commandment have we from Him, ‘That he who loveth God love his brother also.’” 
(I John 4:20-21)

When I was a child I sometimes went to the western movies on Saturday afternoon. Occasionally I see The Lone Ranger and his Indian pal, Tonto. When a “white” man would not keep his word or would tell the same story two different ways in two different places Tonto would say, “White man speak with forked tongue.”

A lot of professing Christians speak with a “forked,” tongue. “Oh, how I love Jesus,” is sung enthusiastically and with tears in one place and hatred for one’s fellow man is spoken in another. James says, “Out of the same mouth precede blessing and cursing.” (James 3:10)

To speak with a “forked tongue” destroys one’s testimony. “Love God with all your heart, soul, strength and mind and your neighbor as yourself,” Jesus said.

No comments:

Post a Comment