Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Inspired Word of God

“For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.” (II Peter 1:21)

When I was a child growing up in the country I often read the “Progressive Farmer” magazine. One of the monthly features was a short snippet called, “Hambone Says…” It was filled with pithy one or two sentence sayings of a black man whose name was, “Hambone.” One of his sayings that has stuck with me for over sixty-five years goes like this: “Hambone says, ‘When I read the Bible it sure does help me understand them commentaries.’”

The president of the Christian College I attended asked to see my Bible, a popular reference Bible. He examined it and handed it back to me and said, “Son remember, the Bible part of that book is inspired of God. The rest of it may or may not be true since it is primarily the author’s opinions and interpretations.

Hambone and my college president were both correct. For interpreting and understanding the Bible, nothing will ever take the place of just reading it, studying it, meditating on it, memorizing it and living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment