Saturday, May 6, 2017

Follow the Leader who Follows Christ

“Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” (I Corinthians 11:1)

In a young preachers’ Bible class the professor often said, “Always practice what you preach.” Other times I have heard it said, “What you do speaks more loudly than what you say.”

When Paul gave his instruction in our text to the church of Corinth he was saying a similar thing. “When I follow Christ, follow me. When I cease following Christ, don’t follow me.” It takes a discerning spirit to tell the difference. Too many times we follow a man simply because everyone else is.

Nine-hundred and nine people blindly followed Jim Jones to their deaths in Jonestown, Guyana, South America on November 18, 1978. Jones was a very charismatic man, but he was not following Christ. Consequently, neither were his followers following Christ.

Follow the leader, pastor or preacher/teacher who follows Christ, who stays in the Word, basing doctrines, decisions, deportment and destiny on the, “Thus saith the Lord,” in the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment