Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Keep Telling the Old, Old Story

“And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.” (John 14:4)

Often when I am preparing a message to deliver to a small group or a large crowd, I realize they have heard all of it many times before. If someone attends church faithfully and regularly, instead of something new they hear reassurances of their faith every time they assemble with the other believers.  They hear the songs of assurance.  The message from the pulpit solidifies their faith. The testimonies of fellow believers are an encouragement to their faith. For those reasons we are “not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together with other believers.” (Hebrews 10:25

Vacation Bible School had ended on Friday. It was Sunday night, VBS Commencement or Family Night. A precious little five year old named Bonnie had been called on to recite her part. She stood on the platform and proudly said, “We just tell the old, old ‘tory.”  That’s what we Christians do.

Jesus was saying in effect, “I’m not telling you something I have not told you before. You know where I am going and you know the way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment