Friday, June 1, 2018

The Foolishness of Preaching

“…For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.” (I Corinthians 1:21)

My father preached my ordination sermon in 1962 and he chose as his text the verse we are using today. In his sermon he said, “It is not foolish preaching but the foolishness of preaching.” He was like Charles Spurgeon who said, “When I announce my text and read it I make a bee-line to the cross.” That is the kind of preaching Paul is talking about in this verse.

More people are converted by hearing a sermon about the cross than by hearing a sermon on the Ten Commandments. The Ten Commandments will make one conscious of his sin and the need of Christ the Savior.

Only the cross of Christ can explain God’s wrath toward sin and at the same time explain God’s love for the sinner. I heard a man say, “I was brought under conviction by hearing a sermon about the cross and was converted by the same message on the cross."

Praise God for the cross of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment