Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Oh God, Forsake Me Not

Oh God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto I have declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have showed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come. (Psalm 71:17-18)

Many Christians have the same testimony as the Psalmist in that they were taught of God in the days of their youth. Paul wrote to his young Christian friend, “…I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.( II Timothy 1:5)  It is the testimony of many who grew up in a Christian home. Such Godly training may be attributed to parents who, “knew the way, showed the way and walked in the way.” It may be attributed to Godly Sunday School teachers and pastors.

If we live long enough we will be old and grayheaded. The psalmist made the appeal to God not to forsake him when that time comes. What a joy in old age to know that even in bad health God has not forsaken us. Help us, May God help us not to be placed on a shelf of uselessness but that we may be teachers and examples to the generation coming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment