Friday, December 30, 2016

Wait on the Lord

“Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and He shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.” (Psalm 27:14)

In this day of microwave ovens, instant pudding and “drive-thru” fast food service no one wants to wait for anything. “A watched pot never boils,” we say.

The Psalmist David gave us a difficult assignment when he said, “Wait on the Lord.”  In this day of shallow Christianity we run ahead of God with our plans for instantaneous success and then pray, asking God to bless our plans. We don’t like to wait on God in our day.

My father was assisting me in a revival in my first church. He observed me witnessing to the lost. When the opportunity came, without scolding me, he said, “When we are sharing the gospel we can’t always see instant success. We need to wait on God and allow time for the Holy Spirit to do His work of conviction in that person.”

Waiting on the Lord is not to be confused with disobedience, laziness or slothfulness. We must continue to share the Gospel and pray, but remember; the Holy Spirit is the one who convicts and converts.

No comments:

Post a Comment