Friday, July 27, 2018

Forsaken of God the Father

“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? That is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46)

Our Savior quoted the Old Testament scriptures when He was tempted by Satan in the wilderness. On many occasions He let us know the Bible was dependable and without error. Here, on the cross He quotes Psalm 22:1 in Aramaic as His fourth saying from the cross.

The agony of the Father’s departure from Him was the worst agony of all. He suffered as every unsaved person dying without Christ will suffer for eternity – separated from God. Jesus, who knew no sin of His own, became sin for us. (II Corinthians 5:21) Habakkuk tells us that God is of purer eyes than to behold evil, and cannot look on iniquity. (Habakkuk 1:13)

He did not just die for my sin; He became my sin and your sin and the sin of all mankind. He was forsaken of God His Father, and died a horrible death that you and I not have to spend one agonizing minute suffering alone and without God in hell. As you read these lines thank Him for loving you so and if you have never received Him as your Savior I encourage you to do so now.

No comments:

Post a Comment