Sunday, June 25, 2017

Do You Know Jesus?

“That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His suffering, being made conformable unto His death.” (Philippians 3:10)

My father was a great man in my eyes. Prior to answering the call to preach, he had farmed, served as a deacon, and taught Sunday school. He was thirty-six years old when he finally said yes to the Lord to preach the gospel. He suffered a major stroke at the age of fifty-seven and died four years later when he was sixty-one years old.  I have heard many people say they knew my dad, but they really only knew about him.  I did not just know about him, I knew him.

Paul says in our text, “I want to know Jesus…” Many people have some knowledge of Jesus, where He was born, where He grew up, where He was crucified and a few other facts. But they only know about Him. To know Jesus we must spend much, much time with Him. We must talk with Him in prayer. We must fellowship with Him. We must seek His counsel. We must read His precious Word. We must confess our sins, faults and failures to Him and experience His forgiveness. You need to have the same heart’s desire as Paul - know Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment