Thursday, July 7, 2016

You Cannot Serve Two Masters

“Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.” (James 4:8)

The old song, “He Lifted Me,” says, “He sought me long before I heard, before my sinful heart was stirred; but when I took Him at His word, through grace He lifted me…”

When we Christians drift away from God and the Holy Spirit stirs us to “Draw near to God,” you can be sure God has already drawn near to you.

Our hands become filthy with sin and need to be cleansed. Pilate attempted to absolve himself of any guilt over the crucifixion and death of Jesus by washing his hands in water. The only way his hands or our hands can be cleansed of sin is by cleansing our hearts through confession of our sins.

A double minded person is unstable in all his ways as James tells us in 1:8. Elijah the prophet asked the question, “How long halt ye between two opinions? If the LORD be God, follow Him: but if Baal, then follow him.” (I Kings 18:21) Jesus made the statement, “He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.” (Matthew 12:30)

No comments:

Post a Comment