Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Wherever He Leads

"But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is much better; yet to remain in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.”(Philippians 1:22-24 NASB)

Paul’s attitude is that “if I remain among the living on earth I shall have more opportunities for bearing fruit.” Remember that Paul is in jail and his imprisonment has given him opportunities to witness and lead others to faith in Christ. If Paul dies as a martyr or some other way, it will be better for him than staying here. He has longed to depart and to be with Christ. However, Paul concludes by saying, “I will be of more benefit to others by remaining here.”

It sounds very much like the attitude of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane on the evening before His crucifixion: “Oh, my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”( Matthew 26:39)   Where the Father uses us is in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment