Saturday, June 13, 2015

Likeminded With the Best

“But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state. For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ’s.” (Philippians 2:19-21)

The late, Dr. Robert G Lee, for many years pastor of Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, Tennessee, said he would not give a recommendation to a church pulpit committee for any preacher.  He said it was the equivalent of co-signing a bank note.

Paul did not have that view of his friend, Timothy. Paul was looking forward to sending Timothy as his representative to Philippi. He said of Timothy, “I have no man likeminded, who thinks as I do. All the rest,” Paul says, “seek their own welfare.” Paul was saying that the Philippians could depend on Timothy to be trustworthy in all ways because he was indwelt with the same Holy Spirit as Paul.

There is an old song that asks the question, “May the Lord depend on you?”

No comments:

Post a Comment